Ian Dunn - (Chair of Governors – Sidney Stringer Academy and Director)
Ian’s success in the 2016 Guardian Higher Education Awards ‘Inspiring Leader’ category sums up the way he works with colleagues, students and the local community alike.
A driving force behind a number of prestigious additions to the University’s widening portfolio - most recently Coventry University Scarborough Campus (CUSC) and Coventry University College (CUC) - Ian is keen to see that the new additions enhance the already top tier educational experience on offer and continue to help widen participation from people of all backgrounds.
The University’s education strategy and student experience are at the heart of everything Ian does. In short, he works closely with colleagues around the University to ensure the needs of students are met and that all measures are taken to enhance the experience that they have while studying for a Coventry award, in Coventry or around the world.
Ian’s efforts have been instrumental in Coventry University’s dramatic rise up every national league table in recent years, with successes in the Guardian, Times and Sunday Times and National Student Survey rankings largely attributable to the strong student satisfaction ratings achieved by the institution.
A long career closely linked to Coventry provides Ian with unparalleled insight into the needs and priorities of both the student and the local community. Working tirelessly to improve ties with the City Council, Local Enterprise Partnership and local schools, he has helped embed the University into the very marrow of the city.
- Winner of the 2016 Guardian Higher Education Awards ‘Inspiring Leader’ category
- Instrumental in influencing improved satisfaction ratings amongst Coventry students to make the University one of the best performers in the National Student Survey
- On Ian’s watch as DVC for Student Experience, Coventry named 'University of the Year for Student Experience' in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015 and awarded the THE University of the Year 2015
- Played a key role in the conception and launch of Coventry University College (CUC) and Scarborough Campus (CUSC) – both considered unprecedented innovations in the sector
- Became PVC, Student Empowerment in 2010 and DVC Student Experience in 2013
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Coventry University 1990; DUT from the University of Lyon, Francethen an MSc and a Diplome d’Ingenieur from Cranfield and the Engineering School in Marseille, in 1992.